1929 Chevy Dually Truck
Last updated Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:08 PM
1929 Chevy "1 ton" dually with a blown 350, Enderle hat with 12 injectors controlled with an Accel Thruster EFI control; it's not going to be a racer so I plan to keep the boost at 5 PSI or lower; HP around 400 to 500. I started out putting a 700R4 behind the motor but after thinking about it for awhile I swapped it for a 4L80E
It's got a Dana 60 rear axle with disc brakes, a 5" drop Magnum axle company front axle
I've got the motor and trans in the body and the front mounts made, also have the rear duals in the plywood bed mockup and I think I've got the bed length right to look best.
The work for 2009 on the truck was clearancing & re-assembling the 6-71; Making the 12 injector plate, idler bracket, V-belt pulley, and bending the stainless steel lines going into the 12 injector plate under the Enderle Hat.
Lately I've been machining everything going on the motor on a Tree 320 CNC mill, I guess with the economy the way it is I've got more time than I've got money, and I can make extra parts and sell them if there's some demand for the parts.
Things that I've made so far are the Billet dash gauge insert, the 12 injector plate under the Hat; the lower V-belt pulley and upper pulley spacer; The idler bracket for the 6-71; Rear blower bearing cap spacers for the HD bearings; among other small parts.
Mounted a 6" dropped Magnum axle company axle, I had to make some kingpin/spindle mounts so I can use the 1 ton hubs on my street rod axle, I used the spindles for a 1-ton 4 wheel drive Dana 60 front axle and I mounted a manual rack on the axle.
The lower axle mounts are made from 6 separate steel weldments with 4 functions: Hold the axle with the 4 link bars; Lower mount for the air bags; Lower mount for the shocks; and mount the rack and pinion directly to the axle on the back.
First was the injector linkage, and I'll just put the video I made in to show that:
Next was the exhaust, I just made that out of 180 degree u-bends, just cut and weld into place, then grind the welds smooth (not quite as easy as it sounds) no pictures of that, sorry.
Next was the running board splash apron, originally that was made out of .035" thick steel and since it was in a spot where it could have some weight put on it occasionally I wanted to make it out of .125" thick steel, so I milled a .050" thick step on the top side of the .125" by 8" wide cold finished steel so I could weld the new top and original sides together: (as always, click on thumb for better pic)
Then I did the driveshaft, in the old days I would have just went to a junkyard and found one that was close and just cut it to length, but you know, since the axle yoke is only $60 and the trans yoke is $60, the tube weld yoke ends are $20 each and the tube is $30, what the heck, just build it new:
After running the air suspension up and down a few times I was trying to fit my alternator to the engine and got concerned a little bit because the alternator wouldn't quite fit with the suspension all the way down so I looked around for a smaller one and Nippondenso made a very small one, but it looked like it was only putting out about 50 amps which I didn't feel was enough, so I settled on a GM CS121 Alternator which was smaller than a standard GM, and put out 80 amps, so I figured that would work.
I had to mount it as high on the side as I could and had to make all the brackets to mount that, here's the finished brackets.
Some for 2012
I got a little done in 2012, originally I wanted to get the engine fired up but as I worked on that I was confronted with the fact that there was no place to run the wiring and mount the computers. (you know, the EFI; ride control; 4L80 transmission controller, ect., just your basic street rod hardware, right?) So I decided maybe I need to get the cab built so I had a place to put all that stuff.
First I pulled the cab off so I could lay it flat on the floor for the last time and get the holes cut for my AC vents. I also decided maybe to build some custom AC vents and mold them into the dash so they look like they're just stamped in the dash, here's some pictures of that, and a video below that:
Note how tight the Vintage air AC unit is under the dash, that is the smallest unit they make, too
I originally had mounted a 700R4 in my truck because some of my racing/transmission friends said it would be fine for a motor making 500 HP if you modify it right, but after worrying about it every since I put it in I finally did a little basic math: Let's see, it would cost around $1200 to build the 700R4 to handle 500 HP and then if it breaks I'll have to buy more high dollar parts to fix it, or I could get a 4L80E off of Craigslist for $300, get a transmission controller for $600, and then put a $130 shift kit which Transgo claims bumps the HP capacity to 750 HP. I guess it doesn't make much sence to not run a 4L80.
Started a little late this year because winter decided to stick around until May, but started by figuring out how much I wanted to chop the roof and chopping the front windshield and doors 4", I'm also replacing all the original wood with steel as you can see in the middle picture below above the front window.
Email me here
If you want to view the rest of my site click on any part of the picture below or the buttons above: